Saturday, August 19, 2006

Baby Elephant Walk

Today, I did my first tourist-y thing in Nairobi. I went with a couple of people up to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage to gawk at all the little baby elephants frolicking in the mud. They only keep the elephants out for an hour at a time, so we made sure to get there early. We got a great spot to watch the little elephant parade. Apparently each trainer gets his own elephant, and they take care of the elephants 24/7 - including sleeping with them. Baby elephants need lots of TLC!

I'll let the photos speak for themselves. There are more @ flickr.

Elephant Feeding 2

Baby Elephant 2

In other news ...

I love some of the signs and companies around here. My favorite company is the Elephence security company. Get it? Elephence? Because there are elephants in Kenya. And a type of security is a fence!

Right.

Anyway, one sign at the museum continually puzzled me. It says, "ABSOLUTELY NO HAWKING". Hawking, I thought. Does this mean no spitting? No flying large birds of prey?

Finally, I noticed at my hotel the sign, "NO HAWKING OF WARES" and a lightbulb went off.

Still, nothing beats all of the english translations in China, many of which were just slightly incorrect. My favorite is still from the Sacred Way. The sign there says, "Absolutely no scrabbling on the statues." So put away those tiles, people! (It's supposed to be "scribbling", as in no graffitti).

No comments:

Post a Comment