Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Let the games continue...

In the end, I cast my vote for Hillary Clinton (like 55% of the other people in my state). I feel at peace with my choice, and suprisingly I really really want her to win.

I had been kind of ambivalent for a while as it's hard to decide between Obama and Clinton on the big issues. They have voted identically 90% of the time (though Obama has missed 16% of the votes and Clinton has only missed 6% of the votes). The things they split on are all relatively minor and pretty much come out in a wash (if you agree with this blogger, and I do).

Honestly, I just like the tone of Clinton's campaign better. Maybe I've been beaten down by 8 years of the Bush administration, but I just don't buy this message of hope. I mean, I buy that Obama means it. It's just a little too sunshine and rainbows for me. All of this optimism ... it's just too much for me. I actually prefer Clinton's pragmatism and calculated political outlook to Obama's almost revivalist cry for change. So I voted Clinton on that basis.

That being said, if Obama ends up being the candidate, I will support him fully. This is not the time for a schism in the democratic party considering the possible republican candidates. Granted, of the three front-runners, McCain is the least crazy. At one time, he was semi-moderate (or at least, as moderate as one can be in the Republican party). Now he's been flip-flopping all over the place, selling his soul to the uber-conservatives for the presidential nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment